Good news! I finally got my Chinese driver’s license! Actually the process was much easier and faster than I thought, so I wanted to share it with you as well. I know many of my readers who are interested in getting a license and driving in China. My experience is in changing my Finnish license to Chinese, so if you don’t have a license at all, you need to go to driving school first.
Documents needed for changing foreign driver’s license to Chinese:
- Application form
- Health check (Super easy and superficial done at the exam center at the same day)
- Four color photos, ask the photo shop for driver’s license photos, they know what to do
- Official receipt for the photos with you passport number on it
- Passport and an official translation and notarization of it (can be done at any 公证处, takes about half a month)
- Foreign driver’s license and an official translation and notarization of it (can be done at any 公证处, takes about half a month)
- Registration paper from your local police station, the original with a stamp
Translations and notarizations will take a few weeks, during that time it’s best to get ready for the theory exam!
Websites and apps for studying:
- Drive in China -app
- China driving test -app
- Chinese Driving test -website
You will want to use these for studying at least for a few days before taking the exam. Also notice that many cities, including Guangzhou has new rules for the traffic violation scoring system, it changed at the beginning of this year. So find the newest regulations concerning the scoring and memorize it.
Taking the exam:
When you got all your paperwork in order and have studied enough for the exam, it’s time to go to the vehicle administration office (车管所) of your city. In Guangzhou it’s called Cen Village Vehicle Administration Office (岑村车管所) and it’s located at Huaguan Street 1732 of Tianhe District (天河区华观路1732号).
Take a waiting number and head to the back of the first floor to get your very quick and simple health check. If you can walk and aren’t blind, you can pass it in five minutes. When your number is up, give them all your paperwork and pay for the exam (80RMB). There are exams being held throughout the day until 3pm. Multiple languages are being offered, English being one of them.
You can take the exam twice in a row, so if you fail the first exam, you can just do it again with the same computer right away. Just tell the staff there you need to take it again. If you pass, you can pick up you new license at 4pm in the first floor lobby. They will call your name and give your license to you right away.
Now just get out there and learn to drive the Chinese way!